July 13, 2014
Today I was asked to give a talk in church about gratitude. It was really hard to not have it be all about Scotland as I've been spending the last while preparing for my trip. My VTs suggested I write a blog and share my experiences this way as not everyone has facebook accounts (nor wants them). So, here I go....I've never blogged before, so pardon the amateur look and probably verbose method of blogging. Hopefully I'll get better.
This trip was designed as a bit of a family history trip of sorts - a quest to see where my ancestors on both sides of my family came from. My mom's mom was born in Newton Stewart and her mom in Gatehouse of Fleet. The McNab burial grounds are in Killin. I'll spend a "wee bit of time" in each place but wanted to get an overall appreciation for this land and am thus taking a whirlwind tour, designed by me, to many of the corners of Scotland. For sake of ease, I'll write each leg separately and hopefully this computer will retain enough of a charge to allow daily entries. Thx again for the free notebook Nate & Ben!
I wanted to start my web log/journal today as I'm beginning my trip with a grateful heart. I'm grateful for not only the funds to go but the ability and time. I'm grateful for everyone who gave ideas of what to see and how to make a penny stretch a little farther. I've planned out my lodgings (all except one night, which I'll do by tomorrow) and planned what I want to do/see each day to maximize my opportunities and minimize regrets. Due to meeting 3 ferries and a boat tour, some planning had to be done pretty precisely but hopefully it'll all be worth while in the end.
By way of prep, I started researching places to see about a year ago (when I initially planned to go but ended up going to Alaska instead that year). Once I had a general idea of all the places I wanted to see, I planned out a route that could be driven. It was apparent right away that due to the remote locations and vast distances, travelling by car was going to be the way to go as opposed to relying on local transport. Finally, I bought my airline ticket (about 3 months ago), then I made sure about 2 months ago that my rental car was booked, and in the last month, I've been using airb&b as well as other websites to book lodgings, averaging about $50/night.....extremely cheap for European standards! My cheapest night will be my last night ($18 + booking fee $2) and my most expensive will be on the Isle of Lewis (50GBP, including full Scottish breakfast). Most places offered are over $100 a night so it took some finding to get these more economical spots at specific spots along the path I wanted to take to minimize driving (max 3 hours a day to allow for multiple excursions).
In the next 2 days, I need to do laundry, pack, exchange currency (get GBP), move the last of my things from my office at work (I'm changing schools this summer), pay bills in advance, and if I can, do my income tax (govt owes me $$ so no rush, but I could use the $$ for this trip!) It always works out in the end, but since this trip is being "documented" for family and friends, I want it to all run smoothly so nobody worries. Timor omnis abesto! (the McNab motto, which means "Let all fear be absent!")

...so jealous, I wish I was going with you :) Travel safely and have a blast. Hope the weather is decent and you don't get eaten alive by midges!
ReplyDelete